Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Mosque & Dinner With Host Family












We went to a cafe overlooking Konya and had tea and ice cream, then back to the hotel to change for dinner. We stopped at a mosque and saw an 800 year old handcarved wooden box the Imam prays from. It took 40 years for 1 man to carve it.
Then to dinner and visit with the host family in a lovely restaurant, afterward the family invited us to their home for Turkish coffee and tea. The men sat outside while us women went in and learned how to make coffee. One of the daughters is a senior in the local university and will graduate with a degree in Turkish Literature. She read a poem for us and I recognized it as the song Alexis did for 2 years in the Turkish Olympiads. I said the name (Sezze Gemmene)and what it was about and they were all so excited that I knew it. I sang a little portion that I could remember. We finally left their home at midnight.

No comments: