Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Goreme, Kapadokya, and Pidgeon Valley



















I will fill in the blog after we get to Urfa. The two young girls I am standing with in one picture are named Mushru and Zaynab. My hair was done the same way as Mushru and she thought that was great! Kapadokya is also known as the Land of the Fairy Chimmneys, where the earliest Christians (the Gnostics) hid to escape persecution from Rome. Pidgeon Valley (the guide kept calling it Pidgeon Wally so we named her that) is a place where tombs were cut into the rock in the valley walls. It was breathtaking.Goreme was where we ate lunch in a cave...huge caverns carved into the rock with a great hall. We were served traditional food while a man entertained us with singing and a superior talent on the Ud. Our guides were singing along with him and enjoying it very much. This was the last meal I enjoyed in Turkey- notice the meat and rice pictured? I think this is what killed all good bacteria in my intestines. More soon...stomach bad....

No comments: