Thursday, July 17, 2008

And Then Came Perry...


So, 3 days after my surgery (remember, I'm not walking) we went to Isa's 3rd birthday party at Angie and Armando's. Perry was jumping on the trampoline and got bounced too high. He came down straight on his leg and screamed. Once we got him into the house and put ice on it we assumed he had pulled a muscle- until we realized he could not walk on it. Alexis and I left the party with him and headed to Cook Childrens' ER where they x-rayed it and deemed it duly broken. The Tibia, two inches below the right knee had snapped on impact. He got a hard splint and an appointment to have a full cast. Cook's also provided him with a small wheelchair (due to our "situation") and he is now wearing his beautiful red cast...from the top of his thigh to the tip of his toes. It has only slowed him a little but I can tell he is so bored, ready to run and play and be outside.

We have such a system going to handle day to day activities, and the bathroom is the best-devised so far. When Perry and I have to do it alone, I let him roll his wheelchair to the bathroom door where I am waiting inside. He slides out of the chair and grabs my crutches and we double-crutch to the toilet. each of us hold a side of one crutch while he takes care of business, then head back to the chair the same way.

"This too shall pass..."

No comments: